from: Ro Mathew
Problem statement :
Cardano’s success is directly connected to the effectiveness of our governance. We need to holistically architect and scale governance.
Instead of building an economy around consumption, lets build an economy that rewards debiasing and generating effective governance policy.
PM / Systems Engineer with background in business analysis, optimisation, coordination/control systems and data driven governance.
Natural collectives rarely allow a single individual or elite group to make decisions for the group. This is because these leadership structures are prone to compromise.
Currently our economy and governance demonstrate such compromise: they implicitly support targets of conspicuous consumption, attention commodification and resource exploitation. This in-turn generates systemic inequalities and problems such as climate change, misinformation and planned obsolescence, to name a few.
In our current state the inequality is “baked-in” to our very economy making it inexplicably difficult to remove in all but a superficial sense.
In addition the current state of the Cardano governance system is adhoc and fragmented (as is to be expected given its recency) we can now take steps to design a holistic flow that utilises the outcomes generated by these system.
– Project Catalyst -> Generation of Proposal
– IOHK/CH/Catalyst videos -> Generation of Vision
– Cardano Governance Forums -> Unstructured Discussions
We’ve seen multiple projects at distributed autonomous fail including the DAO, Bitcoin Cash and the current state of token ecosystem.
Its important here to realise Cardano Governance IS Cardano. There’s a volume of ideas, limited resources, time and attention. Further scaling the current model is going to be impossible as we experience exponential growth.
Further, while this system or end-state is not in place, the community (and currency) is vulnerable to attack through social engineering means.
This proposal is for the development of a reference design that incorporates all the current components and feedback to date from the above sources and proposes a single, unified governance workflow with the elements of above. Its our view that the design form a base for the constructive coagulation of many community ideas.
Within modern cryptonomics the “work” required to verify transactions and generate blocks is incentivised by a token reward within the ecosystem. The circular nature of this principle is a central sustaining component both to a networks operation and integrity.
Similarly, we propose a reference design for an economy centred around effective governance. We incentivise community participation, curation and debiasing (“verification”) of effective projects and policy as the implicit “workload” of the economy.
To ensure that these outcomes are not generated in a mono-culture of thought, or promoted through other maligned incentives (such as bias, tweedism, nepotism) we propose a cohesive, scalable crowd-sourced policy generation platform.
Our reference design will include multiple approaches to ensure that maligned / compromised actors do not generate policy counter to multiple community goals and aspirations, even in cases where these community objectives may conflict.
To this end, we aggregate various design suggestions proposed into a single cohesive collective intelligence workflow including multiple debiasing components. This proposal only includes scope for the construction of a reference design only.
These components include:
– A opt-in values and principles alignment system.
– A system of working groups centred around communities of interest that can represent minority or unrecognised groups. (similar to that proposed by @jeffghome2020)
– A system to promote awareness, emotion and empathy through conversational design (similar to that proposed by @nielskijf) that could also reduce platform overheads like internationalisation and on-boarding.
– A system to develop deep insight sharing and drive informed voting inlcuding a place for creative arts and persuasive communication as well as data driven analysis on the basis of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
– A system of collective strategy generation and prioritisation with the added benefit of inter-group coordination when strategies align.
– A federated debate system that provides timely and tangible policy outcomes (similar to that proposed by @calliefionaburrito)
– A process to responsively and scalably curate, moderate and debias policy
– A process for reward sharing with the community to increase engagement and efficiency of the system.
We aim to platform the above workflow on the Cardano stack to leverage recent technical achievements:
– Integration into Voltaire based voting
– A policy / project generation system integrated with the existing Cardano Treasury model.
– An integrated rewards structure (introducing Proposals NFTs, a Network Trust token and a Prediction Market for sentiment) to promote contribution, reward engagement and accurate analysis.
– A approach to generating data-driven policy justification integrating smart contracts and oracles.
The key deliverable of this project will be a community developed reference design and materials to communicate this design that incorporates the learnings of the past, a number of diverse viewpoints against which community comments can be accepted in future rounds. This forms the training wheels for collective governance.
The nominal requested funds are to support curators in the structuring of reference material and ideas into a single cohesive reference design compatible with Voltaire governance. We are confident all community contributions to date (20210301) will be incorporated. Where its not possible to incorporate these ideas, we will frame further questions to the community for discussion.
We believe the key to Cardano’s long term success is the effective generation and selection of targets, policy and projects.
To be able to generate consensus, we need to unite in objective truth.
To this extent we need to focus on creating a reference design for our end state that incorporates community suggestions to date and creates a frame for further discussion and contribution. This by no means will be a complete solution, rather a projection of today’s community view of the network’s governance architecture.
Debaising our decisions so that we can target goals in line with our values and principles is of utmost importance to the community. We believe consequences of this experiment in governance becoming another agent to preserve the status quo in our society would be a worst case outcome to both the organisation and the spirit of the organisation.
Cardano is founded on equity for all. In this process we need to design to ensure the effects of individual human bias are minimised while leveraging crowd-sourced information processing and remaining responsive to our members needs. These requirements are critical to the security of the governance, generation of effective policy and preservation of our humanity.
Requested funds in USD 8000
Which of these definitions apply to you? Other/Prefer not to say, Developer
Funding Goal: $8,000.00